Delhi Court Grants Four-Day Police Custody for Accused in Tis Hazari Firing Case

In the aftermath of the Tis Hazari Firing incident that transpired between two groups of lawyers on Wednesday, a Delhi Court has ordered four-day police custody for the three accused individuals. The court’s decision was made during an evening hearing on Thursday, following the arrest of Sachin Sangwan, Aman Singh, and Ravi Gupta, who were then presented before the court under heavy security measures.

Metropolitan Magistrate Chatinder Singh, presiding over the Tis Hazari Court, granted the Delhi Police’s request for four days of police custody after considering the submission made by the investigating officer. The accused individuals will be brought before the court again on July 10.

During the hearing, the investigating officer sought remand, emphasizing the necessity of police custody for recovering the weapon used in the offense and apprehending the accused, crucial aspects of the investigation. The court took note of the fact that the accused had been arrested on Thursday and subsequently ordered four days of police custody.

The court, however, directed the investigating agency to ensure that no torture is inflicted upon the accused during their custody. The accused, namely Sachin Sangwan, Aman Singh, and Ravi Gupta, were handed over to Investigating Officer/SI Vinod Nain, and their medical examination was conducted in accordance with the guidelines of the Honorable Apex Court.

The defense counsel representing Ravi Gupta argued that there is no incriminating evidence against him, while the counsels for Aman Singh conceded with the investigating officer’s application seeking remand. Satish Sangwan, the counsel for Sachin Sangwan, contended that his client, being a professional advocate with no prior convictions, does not require custody.

The case has been registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including rioting, unlawful assembly, and attempt to murder, as well as sections of the Arms Act. Additional reports suggest that another individual was detained and questioned in connection with the case but was subsequently released. The Delhi Police are expected to make further arrests in relation to the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *